About Me

My photo
I'm a bit of a born-again wargamer! I played many of the Games Workshop games when I was in my teens and early twenties, but left the hobby behind when I went to University. Over the last few years I have gradually got back into it and am literally having a ball! I'll play pretty much anything now, ranging from ancient historical to the far future! I think that I get more out of the painting side of things than actually playing, but that might just be because I get more opportunity. Hence the title...this blog is all about the colour of war!!

Thursday 11 October 2012

W&N Galeria Matt Varnish - the Holy Grail?

I was in an art store over the weekend and I thought I'd give an artists acrylic varnish a try since I've been struggling to find a varnish that I'm entirely happy with. I've tried both brush on and spray Humbrol Matt Cote, Vallejo Matt Varnish and Miniature Paints Matt Varnish to name a few, but none have really made the grade. They're either too satin for my liking or they frost up (in the case of spray varnish). All i want is a good varnish that doesn't need absolutely perfect environmental conditions to go matt! So I gave this stuff a punt:

So far I've only tried it on the face of an Orc I had sitting around, but it turned out very satisfactory! I'll paint up a test figure soon (a rank and file type) and give it a proper test by gloss varnishing first. I'll make sure to post the results, but I'm hoping that the initial indications hold true and this stuff will turn out to be my matt varnish Holy Grail!!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree.

    However I usually mix a touch of Tamiya Flat Base X-21 to my bottle. About 25 -30 parts Galleria to one part X-21 and shake well.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...